Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program Overview
The Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program was developed as a result of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003. Section 5001(a) of Public Law 109-171 of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 provided new requirements for the Hospital IQR Program, which built on the voluntary Hospital Quality Initiative.
The Hospital IQR Program is intended to equip consumers with quality of care information to make more informed decisions about healthcare options. It is also intended to encourage hospitals and clinicians to improve the quality of inpatient care provided to all patients. The hospital quality of care information gathered through the program is available to consumers on the Hospital Compare website.
The Hospital IQR Program requires Medicare subsection (d) hospitals to submit data for specific quality measures for health conditions common among people with Medicare that typically result in hospitalization.
Hospital IQR Program Resources
Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Measure Exception Form
Starting with Third Quarter 2015 data submission, hospitals participating in the Inpatient Quality Reporting Program may now file an Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Measure Exception Form for Perinatal Care (PC-01) and Emergency Department (ED-1 and ED-2) measures. Qualifying hospitals may continue to file exceptions for Healthcare-Associated Infection measures, which include Surgical Site Infection (SSI), Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection (CAUTI), and Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infection (CLABSI), using the IPPS Measure Exception Form provided below.
- IPPS Measure Exception Form, PDF-184 KB (03/02/16)
Resources for Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 Payment Determination
- Reporting Quarters for FY 2018 Payment Determination, PDF-80 KB (01/25/16)
- Important Dates and Deadlines for FY 2018, PDF-181 KB (03/02/16)
- Reference Checklist for FY 2018, PDF-452 KB (01/25/16)
- Hospital IQR FY 2018 Changes, PDF-73 KB (01/25/16)
Resources for FY 2017 Payment Determination
- Reporting Quarters for FY 2017 Payment Determination, PDF-98 KB (10/27/15)
- Important Dates and Deadlines for FY 2017, PDF-183 KB (Updated 04/13/16)
- Reference Checklist for FY 2017, PDF-350 KB (Updated 01/25/16)
- Hospital IQR Quick Start Guide: Provider Participation Report, PDF-519 KB (Updated 01/25/16)
- Hospital IQR Program Guide for New Facilities for FY 2017, PDF-266 KB (Updated 01/25/16)
- Hospital IQR FY 2017 Changes, PDF-71 KB (01/25/16)