Healthcare Associated Infections
Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) are among the leading causes of death in the United States. HAIs put the patient at risk, increase the days of hospitalization required for patients and add to healthcare costs. HAIs are largely preventable with widely publicized interventions, such as better hygiene and advanced scientifically tested techniques for surgical patients.
HAI measure data are collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) via the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) tool. Hospitals must enroll and complete NHSN training to comply with The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program HAI requirements.
The CDC strongly recommends:
- Multiple users complete the required NHSN training.
- Multiple users have access to the NHSN tool.
- Monthly data submission.
For more information
For questions regarding NHSN training, enrollment and HAI data submission, contact the NHSN at: NHSN@cdc.gov.
For questions regarding the CMS Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program, contact the Hospital IQR Program Support Contractor at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information regarding the CMS Hospital IQR Program can be found on the QualityNet Hospital IQR Program Overview page.
- NHSN Demo- to practice data entry and analysis of simulated data
- NHSN Reporting Output Options, PDF-802 KB (07/24/12)
- HAI Exception Form, Word-26 KB (05/24/12)
Validation Blood Culture Template - Fiscal Year (FY) 2014, XLSX-106 KB (01/04/13)
- Validation Blood Culture Quick Reference Guide - FY 2014, PDF-124 KB (10/23/12)
Validation Blood Culture Template training, WRF-12 min. (07/20/12)
- Training transcript, PDF-27 KB
Resources for FY 2015 Payment Determination
- Validation Blood Culture Template, XLSX-106 KB (01/04/13)
- Validation Urine Culture Template, XLSX-25 KB (01/04/13)
- HAI Validation Quick Reference Guide, PDF-132 KB (11/13/12)
For public comment: Draft resources for FY 2016 Payment Determination
- Proposed Validation Blood Culture Template - FY 2016, XLSX-197 KB (04/30/13)
- Proposed Validation Urine Culture Template - FY 2016, XLSX-33 KB (04/30/13)
- Proposed C. Difficile (CDI) Template - FY 2016, XLSX-27 KB (04/30/13)
- Proposed Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Template - FY 2016, XLSX-112 KB (04/30/13)