Imaging Efficiency Measures
For Calendar Year (CY) 2013 payment determinations, six imaging efficiency measures were included in the Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting (OQR) Program reporting requirements: OP-8, OP-9, OP-10, OP-11, OP-13, and OP-14.
As indicated in the most recent Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS) rule, published November 15, 2012 (Federal Register, Volume 77, Issue 221, p. 68210), the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will postpone public reporting of OP-15 in order to allow time for thoughtful refinement of the measure in collaboration with a technical expert panel and stakeholders. Public reporting for OP-15 will occur in July 2013 at the earliest, and this measure will not be used in CY 2014 payment determination. CMS will confirm the inclusion or exclusion of this measure in the CY 2015 payment determination in future rulemaking.
These six publicly reported imaging efficiency measures, listed below, are calculated from hospital Medicare fee-for-service claims data paid under the OPPS. Hospitals need not submit any additional data for the six imaging efficiency measures.
OP-8: MRI Lumbar Spine for Low Back Pain, PDF-158 KB
- OP-8 Technical Note, PDF-162 KB
OP-9: Mammography Follow-up Rates, PDF-131 KB
- OP-9 Technical Note, PDF-118 KB
OP-10: Abdomen Computed Tomography (CT) - Use of Contrast Material*, PDF-142 KB
- OP-10 Technical Note, PDF-119 KB
- OP-11: Thorax CT Use of Contrast Material*, PDF-89 KB
- OP-13: Cardiac Imaging for Preoperative Risk Assessment for Non-Cardiac Low-Risk Surgery, PDF-161 KB
- OP-14: Simultaneous Use of Brain Computed Tomography (CT) and Sinus CT, PDF-140 KB
Environmental Scans will be updated for all measures in July 2013.
Measure Specifications Under Revision
- OP-15: Use of Brain Computed Tomography (CT) in the Emergency Department for Atraumatic Headache**, PDF-168 KB Posted specifications are those used during the 2011 dry run.
**Public reporting of OP-15 is postponed in order to allow time for thoughtful refinement of the measure in collaboration with a technical expert panel and stakeholders.
See Measures for a complete listing of the Hospital OQR measures and measures resources.