Measure Methodology Reports
The methodology and updates reports listed below describe the methods used to develop the risk-standardized mortality measures, and the 2016 measure updates and quality assurance activities.
Additional rationale of CMS’s methodological decisions during development and re-evaluation of the mortality measures is available in the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF-973 KB) document.
2016 Mortality Measures Updates
CMS contracted with a team of clinical and statistical experts from Yale New Haven Health Services Corporation/Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (YNHHSC/CORE) to develop, and annually re-evaluate and update the mortality measures. The 2016 reports describe re-evaluation activities conducted in preparation for the 2016 public reporting cycle.
- 2016 AMI, HF, Pneumonia, COPD, and Stroke Mortality Measures Updates and Specifications Report, PDF-1.8 MB (05/05/16)
- Pneumonia Mortality and Readmission Measures Cohort Re-Specification Report, PDF-1.2 MB (05/05/16)
- 2016 CABG Mortality Measure Updates and Specifications Report, PDF-609 KB (05/05/16)
Previous annual measure updates and specifications reports can be found on the Mortality Measures Archived Resources page.
Mortality Measures Development (original methodology reports)
The following reports provide measure development background and rationale, description of YNHHSC/CORE’s model development and testing approach, and detailed measure specifications.
Condition-specific mortality measures:
- Risk-Adjustment Models for AMI and HF 30-Day Mortality, PDF-2.34 MB (01/23/07)
- Hospital 30-Day Mortality Following Admission for an Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-684 KB (08/12/13)
- Risk-Adjustment Methodology for Hospital Monitoring/Surveillance and Public Reporting, Supplement 1: 30-day Mortality Model for Pneumonia, PDF-522 KB (4/28/06)
- Hospital 30-Day Mortality Following Acute Ischemic Stroke Hospitalization Measure, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-775 KB (08/12/13)
Procedure-specific mortality measures:
- Hospital-level 30-Day All-Cause Mortality Following Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Measure Technical Report, Measure Technical Report, PDF-1.8 MB (08/27/14)
Additional information about the measure methodology is available on the Mortality Measures Published Literature page.